Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Steven


Yay! I've convinced my "baby brother" to join Facebook. I'm so influential.

I love my brother, Steven. He's one of the funniest people I know. His friends call him Steve, but he will always just be Steven to us. Even my kids call him Uncle Steven. Even though he is 11 years younger than me and we have not lived in the same house since he was 5 due to the fact that my parents whisked him away from my older brother and me to live in Saudi Arabia and left us to fend for ourselves back home in Florida, I think that we are very close. He was like a real, live baby doll to me when he was born. I loved taking care of him and helping my mom. Back then we even used cloth diapers and I would diaper him at 11 years old. I think I only poked him once! :) As an adult he confided in me that he thought I didn't like him when he was little guy because he was small and annoying. I did get annoyed when I'd come home from school and find that he'd gotten into stuff in my room, but I still loved him. I miss that we didn't grow up together. That's my only regret with Mom and Dad going to Saudi.

He and his beautiful wife, Carrie, have been so good to me and my kids. They've even opened their home to Kayla and Brianna for extended periods of time this summer and a couple of summers ago. They came out to Utah when we brought Kayla to BYU for the first time to visit with us and support us. Steven is definitely a favorite with my kids (and Carrie) because they are closer to their ages. He is the "fun" uncle. He takes them fun places, drives crazy in the car, and feeds them ice cream BEFORE dinner. He has a little boy, Holden, who will be 4 soon. I think he looks like a mini Steven. He also has a new baby girl named Mackenna. Before children, Steven fought the idea because I think he thought he couldn't be a good dad. He was so wrong. I saw how he was with my own kids and I knew he was a natural. We remind him that he struck gold with Carrie! She's not only beautiful, but she is fun and has such a gentle spirit. He knows he's blessed! I wish we all didn't live so far away from each other. Maybe some day, when my kids are grown and out on their own, I may move to Maryland so that I can be near my family: Mom, Dad, Larry, and Steven. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you spelled Mackenna's name wrong. shame aunt linda. shame. haha.